Friday 15 June 2018

Totoro Nails


Totoro is one of the most popular studio ghibli characters, and I can definitely say it is a firm favourite of mine too. I thoroughly enjoyed painting this kawaii set of gels.



I had seen a fair few designs of Totoro nails on the internet and I had been waiting for somebody to come to me and let try it out on them. 
We discussed the colours and composition of the characters and I was set to let my creative juices flow and dazzle their nails in this super kawaii design.

As you can see we went for a grey background with a hint of holographic glitter to match the pastel stars I would be adding later on. The colours work so well with the little soot sprites. They grey obviously sets off the colour of Totoros fur so we could carry the theme throughout.

With the soot sprites, I did them a little random because if you have ever seen studio ghibli's films they are little rascals and go all over the place. I also made their eyes a looking in various ways to make them look curious, scared, confused and a little dazed, all to give them their own little personalities.


The thumbs have the main character as there is more room to add in such a big design, so I could really show off the details. By far, this part was my favourite. Each layer it became more and more obvious who it was meant to be and Totoro came alive! 

The overall outcome of this whole set was exactly what I pictured in my head and I couldn't be happier with the way it turned out. The client was over the moon and could not wait to show them off, which is always a pleasure to hear. 

In the future, I would love to explore more with character designs, especially more Japanese style. Please feel free to send me ideas to play around with.  

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Nails in Flames. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig